Thursday 21 April 2011

Under the Rose - Onder de Roos

What is it, in for example a book or a poem or a movie or a person, that touches us?

Sometimes you read something and even though you don't really understand it, it touches something inside you. It plants itself in your heart and mind,and stays there. Sometimes you meet someone, maybe even for just a minute, an hour, a day, and they touch your life in a way that changes it forever. They change you forever.

This poem touched me the first time I read it, in the book "Ogen van Tijgers (Tigers' eyes)" by Tonke Dragt. It was written by Walter de la Mare and is called Under the Rose (Song of the Wanderer) / Onder de roos (Lied van de Zwerver). I hope you enjoy it and perhaps that it touches you too :)




Nobody, nobody told me
What nobody, nobody knows
But now I know where the rainbow ends
I know where there grows
A Tree, that’s called the Tree of Life
I know where there flows
The river of All-Forgotteness
And where the lotus blows
And I, I’ve trodden the forest
Where, in flames of gold and rose,
To burn and then arise again
The Phoenix goes.

Nobody, nobody told me
What nobody, nobody knows
Hide thy face in a veil of light
Put on thy silver shoes
Thou art the stranger I know best
Thou art the sweet heart, who
Came from the land between Wake and Dream
Cold with the morning dew.





Niemand, niemand heeft mij verteld 
Wat niemand niemand weet,
Maar ik weet nu waar het eind van de Regenboog is, 
Ik weet waar er groeit
Een boom die Boom des Levens heet, 
Ik weet waar er vloeit
De Rivier van de Vergetelheid
En waar de Lotus bloeit
En ik - ik heb het Woud betreden, waar
In vlammen, roze en goud, 
Verbrandend - en herrijzend steeds
De Feniks zich ophoudt.

Niemand, niemand heeft mij verteld
Wat niemand, niemand weet.
Verberg je gezicht in een waas van Licht,
Die met zilver schoeisel treedt - 
Jij bent de Vreemdeling die ik het beste ken, 
Van wie ik het meeste hou.
Je kwam van het Land tussen Waken en Droom, 
Koud van de Morgen-dauw.



No comments:

Post a Comment