Friday 1 April 2011

Fear

Irrational fears... I am sure everyone has them. Being scared shitless even though you know that it doesn't make sense.

I guess in a way I faced one of my irrational fears today: I went to the dentist... I avoided going for years, knowing it was a dumb thing to do, but just the idea of going had me scared...yeah shitless :-)
This time it wasn't like I had much of a choice: a beaver sized jaw (not really my look) and a heck of a root canal infection, a couple of days without solid food and to top it all some serious pain kinda makes you do certain things even though you are scared.

So yeah, first dentist visit in years. Both him and his assistant were incredibly kind, taking their time talking me through what they were doing, even getting a smile out of me when the x-rays needed to be redone. Lots of anesthesia, which helped. Now we'll have to see if things improve. As I said, the look doesn't really do it for me! New appointment in two weeks to finish the root canal treatment and to look if anything else needs to be done - eeek.

But I did face this particular fear and in stead of telling myself that it was stupid to postpone going, what my habit is (or rather: used to be), this time I am telling myself that I can be proud of myself for going, no matter what pushed me.

I did go, I made a different choice this time around and took a different path.

Yay me!!!

Oh, and a little something I'll just put in my pocket (as the expression goes in Dutch): the dentist told me that for not having seen a dentist in so long my teeth seemed to be in pretty good shape, with hardly any tartar! :-D


No comments:

Post a Comment